Romsey Memorial Park: page 2

History

Romsey's memorial park was opened in 1921. The park contains a stone memorial to which the names of those who died in subsequent conflicts have been added. The present bandstand dates from 2001.The park also contains a Japanese World War II artillery gun, one of a pair captured by the British and brought back to Romsey by Lord Mountbatten of Burma. One was donated to the town by Lord Mountbatten, and the other was retained in the grounds of his country estate, Broadlands. The Mayor's Picnic takes place in early-mid summer in the park. There is music performed by local schools, a variety of stalls, and the popular Duck Race, in which numbered plastic ducks 'race' each other along the river Test, to be scrupulously retrieved before awarding a prize to whoever chose the winning duck.

Improvement works 2016

 

Improvement works 2015